Saturday, September 7, 2013

A Great Product for Gardening - Organza Drawstring Bags


Black Jack Figs

I found an ideal and reusable product on Amazon for protecting fruits and small vegges from the melon - oriental - Mediterranean fruit flies, moth larvae, pepper weevils and birds.

100 bags for around $8 (price includes shipping)

The.4" x 5" bags were perfect for small to medium size figs, small peppers and tomatoes. They were easier to use than paper bags for these types of small and numerous fruit.

There are many suppliers on Amazon and prices vary constantly on these bags. I recommend searching prior to purchasing.

60 bags for around $16 (price includes shipping)

I used the 6" x 9" bags for the larger peppers, tomatoes, short varieties of cucumbers and the early stages of other developing cucurbits. When the melons and the longer cucumbers began to grow I replaced the organza bags with paper lunch bags or larger fabric shopping bags.

Although more time consuming, the organza bags worked much better than bird netting.

19 comments:

  1. Glad you are enjoying gardening in your new location Jane! You may have inspired me to try garlic ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garlic should grow for you at your elevation. I looked at my notes and I planted on 12/10. Elephant is available from Gourmet Seed and Territorial Seeds. Thai Purple is available from Hood River and Filaree Garlic Farms. I updated my old garlic post on this blog a few months ago and I'll keep updating it when I have new information.

      Garlic, Piquillo peppers and Gigante limas were the stars from my garden this year. The Gigante limas were so ono do you want some seeds?

      Delete
  2. That's a good price for the bags, much easier than sew your own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how these companies can make a profit at these prices! I'm so happy to have found these bags as there are too many aggressive birds where I'm living now.

      Delete
  3. Had no idea about this, our tomatoes are pretty ugly right now, with lots of cuts and I think it's the sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in Kihei tomatoes, even cherry tomatoes, will crack due to the heat and sun during the summer months. Now is a good time to plant tomatoes from seeds.

      Delete
  4. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorite’s blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think.
    Organic Product Distributors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using the organza bags this way is such a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bugs and birds do so much damage in my garden - these bags are just the best!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm surrounded by hundreds of badass birds that peck at the tomatoes, peppers, figs and pomegranates. Even though they could easily peck through the fabric they leave them alone. I also have millions of badass bugs that nail the peppers and tomatoes - these bags have saved my garden!

      Delete
  7. Hey, I would like to know if these bags mess with the fig wasps these little wasp pollinate the figs and help the fruit ripe.. Also if they do when is it a good time to put the bags on the fruit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have the fig wasp here in Hawaii so all the figs I grow are self pollinating. The wasp would probably not be able to pollinate the fig through the organza fabric. I have problems with birds and put the bags on just prior to the fig beginning to ripen.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does this protect against small animals (such as squirrels)? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have squirrels on Maui but we do have mice and the mice don't seem to bother the fruit or vegetables when they're bagged.

      Delete