Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Fertilizer Recommendation for Maui Gardeners


Locally Available, Affordable and it Works!

This is my 3rd summer growing a garden in Kihei. I started out using 4 lb bags of the various organic and natural fertilizers that are available locally and sell for around $10 a bag. In a large garden that amount doesn't go very far. It takes a lot of fertilizer and compost to grow a healthy productive garden in a hot climate. Needless to say the cost was substantial.

 In February, I came across Nutri-Rich fertilizer at Kula Hardware. It's OMRI, made from chicken manure and it's $24 for a 50 lb. bag. I live in a subdivision where most of the neighbors keep their windows open and I was concerned about the smell. It turned out that the smell wasn't very noticeable and certainly didn't travel any distance. 

The manure is aged so it doesn't burn the plants and I can afford to use it liberally. I've been adding this to the soil at least once a month. It's so easy to use and it's made a huge difference.

Nutri-Rich is available at Kula True Value Hardware & Nursery and BEI Hawaii

4 comments:

  1. Love the new look Jane!

    We are so lucky to have Kula Ace, they carry the best products. Eco-Island in Haiku offers some great stuff as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! I haven't been to Eco Island yet - I'll check it out the next time I'm in Haiku. Mahalo for your feedback on my updated blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jane, just stopped by Kula Hardware today and picked up a 50# bag for $26, not bad at all. Cheers and thanks for the rec!
    Elise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elise! I'm so happy with this product - it's affordable and I get good results. I can't grow a garden in Kihei without good fertilizer!

    ReplyDelete