Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Moving Back to Keonekai


Sadly, the cute cottage I was renting in Maui Meadows was sold in November of 2021.

Peppers & Tomatoes Growing in Containers

For 9 years, I was so lucky to have a lot of space to garden. I trialed numerous varieties of veggies and I was able to get garlic to grow successfully.

Squash & Tomatoes Growing in a Garden Bed

Some of the lava rocks in this border were over 12" high.

The Garden Bed in December of 2021
Covered in some places with more than 12 inches of mud.

On December 4th, a few days after I moved, there was a torrential rainstorm on Maui. A massive watershed came down the mountain into Maui Meadows. Many homes sustained damages from the rivers of water and mudslides. According to my neighbors, it was pretty scary that night as there was no escape route to get out. Mudslides crossed the property where I had been living and my garden bed was basically gone. Good thing I had to move by November 30th!

There has been a huge wave of migration into Maui since March of 2021. Rents and housing prices have skyrocketed and rentals are in very short supply. It's funny but the only rental I could find in November was in Keonekai. That's where I lived and started this garden blog prior to moving to Maui Meadows.

 Unfortunately, I only have a gardening space to the right of my front door. Now that I've grown garlic successfully for 8 years, maybe I can get it to grow near sea level. I'll continue to update my blog posts with any new information or photos.

Food and fertilizer shortages are a serious concern worldwide for 2022. I encourage anyone that can to plant some veggies. See my previous posts from April 2022 for suggestions on what to grow if we encounter a food crisis on Maui.

My Favorite Fertilizer

Genius Eggshell Hack for Gardening

2 comments:

  1. After move will you still have room for garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rey - I have a small space in the front of my ohana where I can grow a container garden. Right now I have herbs, sweet potatoes and one eggplant growing in containers. The last photo above is of my current garden.

      Delete